Monday, June 29, 2009

June 29 - They think he's Ukrainian

We are finally meeting with Katya again tonight. She's been working non-stop ever since she moved out of her parents’ house. I was talking to her on the phone last night to set up the lesson and she said she'd been reading the Book of Mormon and writing down questions. She just sounded so happy and said that it was true. I've rarely been as excited for a lesson as this one, probably not since Pavel. I was saying the other day how we have a few investigators with a lot of potential that are just teetering, they can either go one way or the other. We met with Andre last night and he said he's just happier when he's with us. We talked about the future, his plan and what he wants to do. It was really good to talk about all that and just to meet with him again. It's still hard to meet with Tatyana, but she's pretty good at coming to church. We're still working with Kereal, trying to meet with Vuta, and a few others. We got to go to another city and visit this member family who was amazing. And they had this young baby that was about the same age as Alina, so that made me a little home-sick, but the family was great. And we made some delicious chocolate chip cookies for district meeting. It's really big news that Michael Jackson died, that was really random to here. Andre said four Ukranians committed suicide because of it, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Also, I don't know why eeryone here knows about Obama killing a fly during an interview.

Oh, yesterday, I had a hilarious conversation with this guy. I was just getting to know him and I told him my name and that I was from America. He told me to continue about America in an interrogating manner and I said I was from Vegas and talked about it. Then he started to kinda yell, or talk firmly to me, to stop lying and using this fake accent. He said my face doesn't lie and he knows I'm from around here. He said like Ukranian/Russian/Baltic area. That's the first time I've ever heard that. Everyone says I look so American. And earlier I told him I'd been in Ukraine for about 4 months and he's like, Oh? And you already speak Russian? I said I studied a few months before that and he was like Oh, and you already speak and understand everything? I said I definitely do not, I'm American, this is a real accent, and I was laughing the whole time. He said again that my face doesn’t lie, and that he was from new York, and then went off on all this stuff. I was cracking up and I didn't understand what he was saying, so I told him that and he was like "You understand me perfectly!" I was laughing so hard because he thought he was this really smart guy busting some Russian punk trying to use an American accent and making up a story.

1 comment: