Monday, April 26, 2010

3-15-10 Crash and burn

The 'comp' that I referred to earlier is Elder Goodfellow, who I will be with for this week because his comp is in Bulgaria. He lives in a different area of Harkov called Cold Mountain, so we'll be covering both areas still. He's cool and we're going to have a fun time. And it was great to hear that UNLV beat BYU because he's on the BYU swim team and we've been talking alot of trash. He talks about how they killed UNLV in swimming his freshman year and how they stink, but I remarked that I was surprised because I didn't know they had collegiate swimming, I always thought of it as more of a hobby for old people :) Sadly, just because Women's Day is a big holiday doesn't mean they treat women like they should, but the church really helps with that. And as for our performance. . . . . worst experience of my life. You may think I am joking, but Oh, if you do, then you are surely mistaken. I have never, ever performed so badly in my life at anything. The magic tricks bombed, when I hid the hankerchief in the plastic thumb, I opened my hands and the fething thumb flew at the hands. Clearly, they didn't understand the skill and mastery it takes to do such a trick. Then, us three missionaries memorized this famous Ukranian poem (poetry is big here), and as we went to recite it, we all completely blanked. You see, but the other 2 elders I was with are good, smart eagle scouts who prepared for such a situation by bringing their lines with them so they could at least read it. But me, no no, I am much to good for that. I found it much more satisfying and enjoyable standing there for 5 minutes like an idiot with everyone staring at me expecting me to say something. Afterwards, as I shamefully sat alone in a corner and reflected on this last year in Ukraine, I realized that every performance that I have taken part in since I have been there has turned out similar to this last one. I have found a profound new sense, meaning, and understanding of the phrase "to crash and burn."

No comments:

Post a Comment